Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cattus Island 4/11--Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Like last Saturday, I spent another gusty morning at Cattus Island County Park. Unlike last Saturday, I walked all the way out to the tip of the peninsula; the winds weren't as bad as last week and I was just happy that the sun was out. And the trek paid off with my FOY Northern Rough-winged Swallow which was flying over the marsh and then out over the bay. I tracked the brown swallow with brown breast for a while then lost it so I don't know if it continued out toward Island Beach or circled around back toward the marsh. There were a few Tree Swallows flying just to the east over the path, alternately flying around the marsh and roosting on dead tree branches and while walking out to scout island I saw this little flock again and thought perhaps I spotted the the NRWS again, but it zipped by much too quickly.

The other birds I was happy to find were Blue-gray Gnatcatchers which have returned to the county and were buzzing high in the bare trees and fairly easy to see. In about an hour and 45 minutes I garnered 29 species along my windy walk.
Canada Goose  1
Bufflehead  10
Common Loon  1
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  4
Tricolored Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  2
Herring Gull  10
Great Black-backed Gull  3
Mourning Dove  4
Belted Kingfisher  1     Heard
Blue Jay  1     Heard, parking lot
Fish Crow  6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1
Tree Swallow  6
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
American Robin  1
Pine Warbler  5     Heard
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1     Visitor's Ctr
Red-winged Blackbird  25
Common Grackle  10
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment