Monday, May 19, 2014

Santa Fe River Park 5/17--Warbling Vireo

Before we drove back to Albuquerque to start our trip back to NJ, I went out early and took a final quick walk in Santa Fe River Park.

A few times on the trip Shari & I spotted a bird that we just couldn't see clearly enough to i.d., and every time we saw an unidentifiable, bland, little bird, we thought it might be a Warbling Vireo. Finally, while walking back to the hotel I saw yet another nothing looking bird, but this one was singing the song and I could see enough of it to convince myself that I finally had the vireo. Warbling Vireo might be my least favorite bird because it is so nondescript that I'm hardly ever totally confident that I'm actually seeing one. And since it is a Warbling Vireo, its song often fools me for one of the many warblers I don't know by ear.

Warbling Vireo was the 82nd trip bird (counting the grackle in Texas).
11 species
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2     Heard
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Black-billed Magpie  3
American Crow  2
Violet-green Swallow  5
European Starling  1
Spotted Towhee  1     Heard
Western Tanager  3
House Finch  5
House Sparrow  10

No comments:

Post a Comment