Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Middlesex County 5/21--Black-billed Cuckoo, Veery, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Swainson's Thrush, Willow Flycatcher, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Mourning Warbler

I drove up to my old hometown today to go on a birding field trip led by Scott Barnes to a couple of parks in Woodbridge Township. Despite moving there when I was 14, I know very little about large swaths of the area. I moved out as soon as I could took no interest in the place while I was there. So William Warren Park on the border of Perth Amboy was a completely new place for me and I had to use the GPS as if I was in New Mexico. No idea where I was going until I got there.

Leaving myself plenty of time to get lost, I didn't, and arrived early. Quite a few birders I knew were going on the trip and we gathered in the parking lot, hearing a lot of birds, mostly Blackpoll Warblers. And hearing was the theme for the park, because we saw very few of the many warblers that Scott and the other, better ear birders, were picking out up in the leafy canopy. Just when I think I'm getting pretty good at ear birding, I come across a cacophony of bird song and I'm lucky if I can pick out Ovenbird (which I did).

Thrushes were in great supply in the park--I got my first Swainson's Thrushes, Veerys, and Gray-cheeked Thrush.  The first two I saw--the last I only heard, twice. Gray-cheeked Thrush has a distinctive enough call that I felt okay about counting it after Scott pointed it out. There were a few warblers I didn't count today, like Blackburnian, because though Scott would call out and identify the song, I didn't feel confident that if I heard it two minutes later I would know what it was. Consequently my list is a lot shorter than it could have been.

After 3 hours of walking around the woods, hemmed in by Routes 35, 9, and the Turnpike, we all drove 4 miles north to the Oros Preserve, territory more familiar to me. Oros Preserve is pin oak forest and a small swamp with many dead trees sticking up out of the water. The resident Red-headed Woodpeckers were nowhere to be found, but there were some marquee birds to be found. Flycatchers are coming back and it was here that I got my first Willow Flycatcher of the year--an empid identified best by it "song"--"Fitz-bew!"

On a narrow trail leading back from the edge of the water Patrick Belardo found a Black-billed Cuckoo, a fairly unusual bird for Middlesex County. It sang--but at first, since it was partially hidden in the tree (as cuckoos almost always are), it sounded like a Yellow-billed until it switched over to it's more coo-coo like song, so there was a moment of confusion as to which cuckoo we had. But the red-eye, the tail pattern, and the black bill made the identification simple.

The best was yet to come as we walked into the forest. Scott heard a Tennessee Warbler and after some intensive searching by a dozen pair of eyes, we finally were able to get a look at one singing: "ticka ticka ticka."  Tennessee Warbler is not much to look out--kind of bland--the Warbling Vireo of the warbler world, but it is rare this time of year so it was good to find. We actually heard a 2nd one singing. Then a few minutes later Scott snapped his fingers and said, "There--Mourning Warbler." Mourning Warbler is a always a much sought-after warbler in these parts, and while we only heard it sing (glimpsed it fly deeper into the tangles) it has such a distinctive song and we heard it for so long that I had no problem counting it. Both warblers were state birds for me, so I was pretty pleased.

By now it was 1 o'clock. My mother lives 15 minutes away from Oros. Every time I go there I say I wish I knew that it existed 3 years ago when I was staying in Iselin, taking care of my parents. It would have been a great stress reliever to go there.

My list for the two spots. I really upped my Middlesex County year and life lists today.
Species     First Sighting
Canada Goose     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Great Egret     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Green Heron     William Warren County Park
Black-billed Cuckoo     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Red-bellied Woodpecker     William Warren County Park
Northern Flicker     William Warren County Park
Eastern Wood-Pewee     William Warren County Park
Willow Flycatcher     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Eastern Phoebe     William Warren County Park
Great Crested Flycatcher     William Warren County Park
Eastern Kingbird     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Warbling Vireo     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Red-eyed Vireo     William Warren County Park
Blue Jay     William Warren County Park
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Tree Swallow     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Tufted Titmouse     William Warren County Park
Carolina Wren     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Veery     William Warren County Park
Gray-cheeked Thrush     William Warren County Park
Swainson's Thrush     William Warren County Park
American Robin     William Warren County Park
Gray Catbird     William Warren County Park
European Starling     William Warren County Park
Cedar Waxwing     William Warren County Park
Ovenbird     William Warren County Park
Northern Waterthrush     William Warren County Park
Black-and-white Warbler     William Warren County Park
Tennessee Warbler     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Mourning Warbler     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Common Yellowthroat     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
American Redstart     William Warren County Park
Northern Parula     William Warren County Park
Magnolia Warbler     William Warren County Park
Bay-breasted Warbler     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Yellow Warbler     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Chestnut-sided Warbler     William Warren County Park
Blackpoll Warbler     William Warren County Park
Black-throated Blue Warbler     William Warren County Park
Canada Warbler     William Warren County Park
Scarlet Tanager     William Warren County Park
Northern Cardinal     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Red-winged Blackbird     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Brown-headed Cowbird     William Warren County Park
Orchard Oriole     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve
Baltimore Oriole     Ernest L. Oros Wildlife Preserve

No comments:

Post a Comment