Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Patriot Lake 5/18--Black-bellied Whistling Duck

While we were in NM, I received a number of text alerts regarding rare visitors from the south at a little "lake" (pond is more accurate) in Galloway Township, about 5 minutes away from Brig. Not life birds, not even birds to add to the NJ list (one spent a good part of the summer a couple of years ago at Brig), but interesting birds to see any time you can. I told Shari that if they stuck around, we'd go look for them on Sunday, the day after we got back. They stuck around, but Shari was too tired to go get another bird, so I drove by myself down there, found the park with minimal trouble, and found the ducks with absolutely no trouble. They are extremely tame and unconcerned about joggers, dog walkers, or birders. I parked the car, located the lake by seeing a fountain spraying water high in the air, walked over a small hill, and there they were. They spent the first ten minutes I was there with their heads tucked in. While I waited for them to at least look around, I found a few more birds, including a Spotted Sandpiper. Eventually, the ducks became alert, looked around, I snapped another photo, and was off to make the rounds at Brig.
14 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  4    
Canada Goose  10
Mallard  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Laughing Gull  5
Ring-billed Gull  2
Eastern Kingbird  1
Fish Crow  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1
Purple Martin  10
Tree Swallow  1
Gray Catbird  1
House Sparrow  5

No comments:

Post a Comment