Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Whiting WMA 1/9--Pine Siskin

Some people wake up in the morning and immediately start wondering what they'll have for dinner. Since the beginning of the year my first thought is, "What bird will I be able to use for Bird A Day?"

I took my walk through the WMA this morning and took each bird I saw or heard into consideration. There isn't much back there this winter and the rarest bird I saw for most of the walk--Red-breasted Nuthatch--I'd already used. I was resigned to using Eastern Bluebird, "burning" one of my 30 reliable birds too early in the year, when I came to a feeder along the path the skirts the WMA.  Goldfinches were on the platform feeder and, when I looked more closely, I espied my first Pine Siskin of the year. I looked closely to make certain it wasn't a female House Finch when another flew in--same size as a goldfinch with a small bill--so definitely not HOFI. While Pine Siskin isn't rare, I certainly see them few enough times a year to use it for the BAD list with no qualms.

So, while the Pine Barrens this time of year certainly are, with nuthatch, bluebird, and siskin, the birds I am finding are what a friend of mine would call "quality."

Day list:
Comments:    32 degrees
14 species

Canada Goose  2    Heard
Mallard  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  1    Heard
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  2    Heard
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
Eastern Bluebird  7
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern Cardinal  1    Feeder off Congasia
Pine Siskin  2    Feeder off Congasia
American Goldfinch  4

No comments:

Post a Comment