Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cattus Island 1/10--Common Goldeneye

Premonition + Pertinacity = Common Goldeneye

I paid my first post-Sandy visit to Cattus Island County Park today. Only about half the trails are open and the viewing platform from the Nature Center is also closed. But I was most interested in what I could find in the bay and access to that area of the park wasn't blocked.

I scanned Silver Bay from a few different points, finding lots of Ruddy Ducks and a smattering of Buffleheads. The marshes along the main trail held nothing. When I reached the end of the road I saw that the boardwalk trail that leads to a small island was also off limits. Cattus Island is a peninsula and the main trail ends about 7/8 of the way to the tip. I decided to walk the last little bit on the beach so I could scan the bay to the south. Last year, when I was on Long Beach Island about 15 miles south, I saw goldeneyes in the bay. I just had a feeling that out on the point would be a good place to find one (or more). I shouldered the scope and walked east along the water's edge where the sand was compact  making for a relatively easy walk. Along the way I spotted more Buffleheads and two pond pigs (swans), but there seemed to be a little activity on the water to my right so I kept on plugging along. No sooner did I plant the scope in the sand at the point than a black and white duck with a very obvious white circle in front of its eye flew overhead. I had my Bird a Day. I watched it fly across the bay and land in the water without the clumsy skittering of a Bufflehead, but once I tried to scope it I couldn't find it and gave up after I got a phone call.

Afterward I tried to got to Shelter Cove but it was closed off due to storm damage. I wanted to go to Marshall Pond (an incongruous body of water in a shopping mall close by Marshall's Department Store, but missed the turn coming and then, after a stop at PetSmart for more bird seed, missed the turn going. I settled for a look at Riverfront Landing. There were more Canvasbacks there than the other day, plus a couple of both scaups. An inadequate photo is below. Clicking it will bring up a larger image in which you may just discern the Canvasbacks and one Lesser Scaup.

Canvasbacks and scaup (3rd from right)
22 species for the day:
Cattus Island County Park
18 species
Mute Swan  2
American Black Duck  3
Mallard  4
Bufflehead  25
Common Goldeneye  1    
Red-breasted Merganser  1
Ruddy Duck  225
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Ring-billed Gull  8
Herring Gull  2
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  6
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard
American Robin  1
Northern Cardinal  1    blue trail
Riverfront Landing
8 species
Canada Goose  45
Mallard  70
Canvasback  20
Greater Scaup  1    Round head. clean sides
Lesser Scaup  2    Pointed head
Bufflehead  5
Ruddy Duck  3
Ring-billed Gull  20

No comments:

Post a Comment