Friday, January 18, 2013

Whitesbog 1/18--Tundra Swans

Tundra Swans, Whitesbog
It didn't feel that cold this morning when I set out for Whitesbog, after a trip to the dump. My Bird A Day target was Tundra Swans. I drove straight out to the bog where I usually see them, only to be disappointed. Nothing in that bog but some Canada Geese and a few Mallards. I stepped out of the car and bam! the wind coming over the water was cutting me up. Two pairs of gloves and my hands were still numb.

Nevertheless I set off down the road to the end of the bog hoping that the swans were hidden in a marshy area. Whenever I'm birding in frigid weather (and my definition of frigid is pretty wimpy) I always think of Scott, Shackleton, Amundsen and the other Antarctic explorers--not for inspiration but to remind myself that at least I'm not as crazy as they were. I got to the end of the bog and still saw no swans. Turning around I put my binoculars on the bog across the road and looking back from where I'd walked I saw them! With the glare of the sun somehow I'd missed them. I walked back to the car, drove up the road a little, counted 45 swans, took some pix and went home. Glad I saw them, they're great looking (and sounding) birds and I was happy to enjoy them for a few minutes from the warmth of my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment