Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Double Trouble 1/15--Eastern Phoebe

Nothing was going to match the highs of yesterday's rarity but I did find one relatively rare bird today in recently reopened Double Trouble SP--an Eastern Phoebe.  The park was closed down right after Sandy and only opened a few days ago, so perhaps the Phoebe has spent the mild winter there. I heard it calling (too early for its raspy eponymous song) then saw it on a bush in the back of a bog as I was I walking along Pkwy Access Rd. (Someday I'll walk this road to the end and see just how it accesses the Parkway.)  A jogger scared it off its perched. It flew across the road, sat on a branch for a moment furiously pumping its tail then disappeared into the woods.

Other than that good find nothing--geese, gulls, ducks, and 1 junco. Still, I got my Bird A Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment