Monday, January 7, 2013

Inadvertent Record Holder

I was reading another birder's blog this evening; he was writing about his plan to do a Passaic County Big Year and break the record his friend established last year of 184 species. (Which, by the way, is pretty damn good, considering that Passaic County is land locked.)

The idea made me curious as to what the record for Ocean County might be and if it was feasible for me to try to beat it. The only place I know of to research to establish an "official" record is eBird. Their records for Ocean County go back to 1951. Looking through all those lists I came to the realization that, at least on eBird, I already hold the record with 182 species last year. (Compared to Passaic County's record this does not seem that impressive to me since I have an entire ocean front to bird. On the other hand, I won't go out on pelagics, which limits my counts. And, on the third hand, most of Ocean County is in the pine barrens, an area not noted for its avian diversity.)

I just told Shari and when she asked how I'd figured this out, I told her I'd just looked through 60 years worth of records. She said I have too much time on my hands. I'd be embarrassed to actually query on Jerseybirds if anyone knew if there is an official record and if there is, do I have it? It isn't like I get a prize or a trophy or even any acknowledgement. It isn't the same as getting a state record. It is just a goofy little statistic. I don't feel any sense of accomplishment; but I am greatly amused. Now the question is: Do I want to break my own record this year, or rest on my laurels? Or just bird as much as possible and see what happens? That seems the best notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment