Thursday, January 24, 2013

Crestwood Village 1/24--Wild Turkeys

Click picture for larger image
Even though Shari thinks my Bird A Day game is one more stupid obsession, she is such a good wife that when, returning from Stop & Shop, she saw a flock of Wild Turkeys skittering across Penwood, she called me from the car, told to me to put on my shoes, she'd be at the house in 2 minutes, then drove me back over there so I could use the turkeys for today's entry. I only need one for the day, but here are 14.

I like birding but I don't like frost-bite. The last 3 days have been bitterly cold for New Jersey--temperatures have not risen above 20 degrees--so my birding has been confined to looking out the window at the feeders, which means I've had to use up yard birds like Dark-eyed Junco and White-throated Sparrow the last couple of days as my BAD entries. They at least are winter birds which I don't mind using (although it would be good to keep them for the end of the year, if I were to last that long in the game), but today I thought I was going to have list one of the "reliables," and if I start employing them too early I probably won't last through the spring.  So chalk up a "save" for Shari.

No comments:

Post a Comment