Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Manasquan Inlet 2/1--Black-headed Gull

Another obligatory stop. For the last couple of years, a Black-headed Gull has seemingly taken up residence in Point Pleasant Beach. There are millions of these birds in Eurasia, but they're a big deal here, so it behooves one to check either Baltimore Avenue if there is a sandbar, or the parking lot of the Manasquan Inlet to see if the bird is on the Ocean County side of the river. Today, there was no sandbar, but the parking lot was the bingo, with the bird's red feet standing out prominently as it nestled along the seawall with about 50 Ring-bill Gulls, with which, eBird tells me, it often associates. 

I thought about going out to the beach to scan for interesting gulls that have been reported there, like Iceland and Lesser Black-back, but the wind off the water...constitutionally, I should live in a warm state, but the only warm state with politics I can stomach is always quaking, sliding, droughting, and/or burning, so, going with the idea that I only need one cool bird a day, I opted to end the trip on a winning note. 

With Ring-bill. Red feet, yellow feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment