Monday, May 24, 2021

Brig 5/24--Curlew Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope, Yellow-breasted Chat

Curlew Sandpiper
One rare sandpiper at Brig wasn't enough to induce me to go down there. The thought of looking through 2000 Dunlins made me queasy. Two rare sandpipers wasn't enough to induce me either.  We spent 3 days in Delaware looking at thousands of shorebirds--all that shimmer, all that glare. But three rare sandpipers at Brig--okay, I'll give it a shot. 

Red-necked Phalaropes
And I did get three rare sandpipers at Brig just not the one that tipped the balance. Even though I'd just seen Black-necked Stilts 3 days running in Delaware, one in NJ would have been a little ornament on the state year list. Yet it wasn't there today. I didn't make much of an attempt to look for the long staying rarity because of the aforementioned flocks of Dunlins. So, Goose Markers 4, 5, & 7 having produced nothing but some extremely attractive Ruddy Turnstones, it was on to the dogleg where I hoped to score at least one new bird for the year. I got out my scope and looked through the various sandpipers. Lots of Greater Yellowlegs, lots of peeps which, by that point, I'd stopped tallying. I moved my position a few dozen yards up the road and began another scan and then I found one Red-necked Phalarope. There were supposedly two, but I only need one to make me "happy."  I drove around to the north side of the pool and set up shop again. Another birder there said he had found the 2nd phalarope and after a bit so did I. 

Now that I had one new bird on the list and didn't feel like a total failure, I drove up the road to Jen's Trail and took my walk. I walked Jen's Trail and then down to the Overlook Pond and along the road almost to the exit, cut across on the old rail bed trail and walked to the Gull Pond. On my way back I met a fellow birder and we talked about what was and wasn't there. He hadn't started his loop around the drive yet. I walked back to the car and in the cleared field in front of the Overlook I heard, three times, the chatter and babble of a Yellow-breasted Chat. I couldn't find it. I suspect it was buried in one of the few big trees left standing but as that is an historical spot for chats and no other bird sounds quite like it, I was certain of my i.d.

I was back at the car with 4 miles of endorphins pinging around in my brain and two year birds for the day. A quick lunch and then a drive to the end so I could start a 2nd loop. And glad I am that I did instead of just bolting for home. The Black-necked Stilt wasn't there but just before the observation tower I saw my acquaintance again and the "Don't Look for Bird, Look for the Birders" Law kicked in. He was tapping away at his phone and when he saw me smiled and pointed down. Right in front of us, without having to separate it from a thousand distant Dunlins, was the Curlew Sandpiper that was found two weeks ago. And then he mentioned that there was a Wilson's Phalarope at the dogleg. "You mean Red-necked," I said. "No, Wilson's and Red-necked." 

Wilson's Phalarope (center) with Greater Yellowlegs & Snowy Egret

I'd seen one or two reports of Wilson's the last few days but dismissed them as errors. Maybe they were, but this one wasn't. I tootled along to the dogleg again and set up my scope. A birder to my left was describing the Wilson's to his friend. I scanned around and found the two Red-necked Phalaropes and right between them--the Wilson's.  So what if the birding gods were playing bait and switch with me--I'll take a year bird for a state bird every time. 

76 species
Canada Goose  125
Mute Swan  18
Mallard  12
American Black Duck  2
Mourning Dove  6
Clapper Rail  1     Heard
Black-bellied Plover  50
Semipalmated Plover  400
Whimbrel  5
Ruddy Turnstone  100
Red Knot  1
Curlew Sandpiper  1    
Dunlin  2000
Least Sandpiper  20
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1000
Short-billed Dowitcher  100
Wilson's Phalarope  1     GM14
Red-necked Phalarope  2     Females at GM 14.
Greater Yellowlegs  15
Willet  12
Laughing Gull  125
Herring Gull  20
Great Black-backed Gull  4
Gull-billed Tern  5
Caspian Tern  2
Common Tern  2
Forster's Tern  10
Black Skimmer  50
Double-crested Cormorant  20
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  17
Snowy Egret  2
Green Heron  1     Flyover Gull pond road
Glossy Ibis  4
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey  5
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     Heard upland
Willow Flycatcher  1     Heard Gull pond
Eastern Phoebe  1     Heard upland
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  1
White-eyed Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  1     Heard Jen’s Trail
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  10
Fish Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1     Heard upland
Purple Martin  20
Tree Swallow  15
Barn Swallow  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1     Heard
Marsh Wren  5     Heard
Carolina Wren  4
European Starling  2
Gray Catbird  20
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  3
House Finch  1     Heard
American Goldfinch  1
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  2     Heard upland
Seaside Sparrow  3     Heard
Song Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  1     Heard open field in front of overlook
Orchard Oriole  1
Red-winged Blackbird  115
Boat-tailed Grackle  1
Ovenbird  2     Heard upland
Common Yellowthroat  5
Yellow Warbler  3
Pine Warbler  1     Heard upland
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1     On rail bed trail   Dull. Probably female.
Northern Cardinal  3
Indigo Bunting  2

A couple of decent photographs of birds instead of doc shots:
Ruddy Turnstone
The dreaded Dunlin


No comments:

Post a Comment