Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Brig | Backyard 4/27--Red Knot, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Gull-billed Tern, Least Bittern, Yellow-throated Vireo

Gull-billed Terns
It is always a pleasant surprise to "get" a bird you're really not expecting to "get." I stopped at the entrance ponds at Brig, knowing that Least Bitterns had been heard there the last week or so, but I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to hear them, especially since it was well after dawn when I arrived. But, immediately upon getting out of the car, I heard the soft "coo coo coo" of the bittern calling from the reeds. There may have been two because later I heard another bittern from the other pond when I was walking the road, but I'm interested in quality, not quantity. 

Of course, hearing a bird isn't nearly as satisfying as seeing one, and I wouldn't make a special trip to hear one which is why I haven't got to the left hand side of the middle of nowhere down in Cumberland County to hear a couple of Yellow Rails go "tic tic tic" even though they'd be lifers, or why I haven't been able to get interested in going to Higbee in Cape May to hear a Swainson's Warbler sing, again, even though it would be a lifer. Reward doesn't equal effort in either case. 

But today, hearing the bittern(s), was already a success. By the time I got out onto the drive, after taking my long walk up to the Overlook from the Gull Pond, with a detour to Goose Marker 4, I already had well over 50 species on my list, though only the bittern(s) were new. 

Semipalmated Sandpiper
But soon the year birds started showing up. In with the yellowlegs was one peep (the water seemed very high for shorebirds today) and while I would have liked it to be a Western Sandpiper, I let it go as Semipalmated Sandpiper, the more likely bird. But still the first one of the year. In among a flock of Laughing Gulls were two Gull-billed Terns, so it pays to stop and look at all the flocks because there may be something blending in with what you think you're seeing .

Nothing else new seemed like it was going to show up by the time I got Jen's Trail, so I was just looking to build up the list at that point. But, while talking to a couple of other birders on the trail, one asked me if I had seen the Red Knots. No, I missed them. Well, they were just before the end of the marsh about quarter mile back from Jen's. I couldn't drive back and I wasn't going to do a second loop, but I could walk back. I did, saw a group of shorebirds and knew I needed my scope. So I walked back to the car at the other end of Jen's about a half a mile, got the scope, walked back, saw 3 or 4 Red Knots mixed in with Black-bellied Plovers, was happy, then walked back to the car. So in all, I walked about a mile and a quarter for those knots. So, it shows I will make an effort to see a bird. 

I got home late afternoon and sat out on the patio with Shari drinking a glass of wine, watching the hen turkey casually browse the seeds beneath the feeder, noting the late Pine Siskin picking out sunflower chips, and finally seeing our first backyard hummingbird, when I noticed a call coming from the woods that I'd never heard before in the almost decade that we've been here. I asked Shari if that call sounded like "Threee eight" to her. It did. 10 or 15 times we heard "Threee eight" before it drifted farther out into the woods. And that was our first backyard Yellow-throated Vireo, not to mention the fifth year bird of the day. Very satisfying end to the day. 

My list for a long day at Brig:

72 species
Brant  150
Canada Goose  100
Mute Swan  8
Blue-winged Teal  4
Northern Shoveler  2
Gadwall  2
Mallard  5
American Black Duck  15
Green-winged Teal  20
Bufflehead  2     Gull Pond
Mourning Dove  3
Clapper Rail  2     Heard
American Oystercatcher  2
Black-bellied Plover  25
Whimbrel  75
Red Knot  3     North dike to north w BBPL PROBABLY more very distant
Dunlin  100
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1    
Short-billed Dowitcher  5
Wilson's Snipe  2     Gull Pond
Greater Yellowlegs  20
Willet  6
Lesser Yellowlegs  5
Laughing Gull  35
Ring-billed Gull  5
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Gull-billed Tern  4
Caspian Tern  4
Forster's Tern  75
Double-crested Cormorant  250
American White Pelican  1     Gigantic white bird with huge orange bill at the dogleg.
Least Bittern  1     A soft coo coo coo at entrance pond
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  35
Snowy Egret  40
Glossy Ibis  50
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  15
Osprey  12
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
White-eyed Vireo  4     Heard
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  8
Fish Crow  25
Carolina Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  2     Heard
Purple Martin  20
Tree Swallow  15
Barn Swallow  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Marsh Wren  1     Heard
Carolina Wren  2     Heard
American Robin  9
House Finch  3
American Goldfinch  4
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  4     Heard
Seaside Sparrow  1     Heard
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  1     Heard
Swamp Sparrow  1
Eastern Towhee  4
Red-winged Blackbird  100
Common Grackle  2
Common Yellowthroat  25
Yellow Warbler  1     Heard
Pine Warbler  2
Prairie Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  5

No comments:

Post a Comment