Sunday, April 8, 2018

FREC 4/8--Palm Warbler

Palm Warbler
Not feeling particularly ambitious on this frigid spring morning, especially after a long day of birding yesterday, Shari and I stayed fairly local with a trip to FREC (Forest Resource Education Center) in Jackson. I still hadn't seen a Palm Warbler this year and I was hoping to rectify that today. There were most of the expected birds down in the tree nursery section, with the most activity around the tiny pond. On that path we saw many little jumpy birds that were feeding on whatever insect life was stirring in the relative warmth of the bright sun. It was in the high 30's and the wind made it feel colder coming off the water of even that little pond.

But we did see a few Palm Warblers, even if  they were too active to get a decent picture of one. I'm no photographer and my camera is unreliable and I only seem to care about this when I'm trying to take a picture. I immediately stopping worrying about as soon as the camera is turned off.

However, though I didn't get a good picture of the FOY bird, in the tradition of "Even a Stopped Clock is Right Twice a Day," I did manage some nice point & shoot & hope photos of a few other birds:
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Pine Warbler
One year ago tonight, we had our first whip-poor-will of the year. Unless there's one named Frosty out there, I don't think we'll be hearing one tonight with the temperature at 28 degrees.

Our little list for FREC
19 species
Canada Goose 2 Heard
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2 Heard
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Phoebe 4
Fish Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2 Pond
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1 Pond
Eastern Bluebird 10
American Robin 2
Palm Warbler 5 Pond
Pine Warbler 10 Many singing
Yellow-rumped Warbler 5
Chipping Sparrow 1 Heard
Song Sparrow 1 Heard
Eastern Towhee 1 Heard
Brown-headed Cowbird 1 Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment