Monday, May 19, 2014

Santa Fe River Park 5/12--Western Tanager

The mighty Santa Fe River



























I found the park across the street like every other birding spot a hit or miss place. Today, was a hit, with a good number of species. I came across a small flock of Western Tanagers. I have never seen, until now, more than one tanager at a time. I also enjoyed finding two more Evening Grosbeaks. They are beefy looking birds. On the other hand, I was getting pretty sick of House Finches--they were everywhere, singing constantly, and since I developed an unfortunate mnemonic for the House Finch's song (I hear the last two notes as "F*^%K Yooo"), I found their singing grating, at best.
15 species
Rock Pigeon   5
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)  1    Going into nest hole
Black-billed Magpie  3
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
European Starling  3
Spotted Towhee  2
Canyon Towhee  1
Western Tanager  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
House Finch  10
Evening Grosbeak  2
House Sparrow  5

No comments:

Post a Comment