Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Great Bay Blvd WMA 6/18--Virginia Rail

Black-crowned Night-Heron
I drove down to Great Bay Blvd this morning, figuring I'd get an easy Bird A Day entry. This Black-crowned Night-Heron was the leading candidate until I was approaching the last & fifth bridge on the alternately named Seven Bridges Road when a Virginia Rail scurried across the path and into the reeds. I only saw it for a second or two--I was driving slowly so I wouldn't squish a terrapin (would that others did the same) so I was pretty confident I had a Virginia--Clapper Rails (I heard one while I was take the night-heron picture) don't move like this bird, which was chicken like in its gait. And I really doubt it was a chicken. So there's today's bird taken care of.

If I could, I'd just drive down to that Tuckerton Marsh every morning to keep in the competition. It's easy to find birds there I haven't used in the contest, while walking in the woods is becoming less and less "productive." However, life gets in the way.

In the inlet a very late Common Loon was close to shore--non-breeding plumage, so I guess it doesn't feel the urge to get north. The only shorebirds were Willets. Two Willow Flycatchers--and I actually saw one perched on a wire--were present. Yet another reason just to play Bird A Day at Great Bay until fall migration begins.

The day's list:
27 species 
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  25    f/o flock, long line.
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  20
Snowy Egret  10
Black-crowned Night-Heron  3
Glossy Ibis  10
Osprey  11
Clapper Rail  1    Heard
Virginia Rail  1    
Willet  25
Laughing Gull  100
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  6
Forster's Tern  5
Rock Pigeon  1
Mourning Dove  10
Willow Flycatcher  2
Barn Swallow  15
Gray Catbird  2
Northern Mockingbird  1    Heard
Common Yellowthroat  6
Yellow Warbler
  2
Seaside Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  6
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Boat-tailed Grackle  75
Good Intentions, Bad Grammar

No comments:

Post a Comment