Friday, March 29, 2013

Great Bay Blvd WMA 3/29--Snowy Egret

The transition from winter birds to spring/summer birds seems slow this year--still a lot of juncos on the lawn, haven't seen a Chipping Sparrow yet. Where are the catbirds? I should have seen a Pine Warbler by now. True, we have Brown-headed Cowbirds, but everyone except me hates Brown-headed Cowbirds.

On Great Bay Blvd this morning the birding was slow. Brant were around in small numbers; they'll probably hang out until June. I found a couple of Common Loons, one in the inlet, but the water was empty save for that bird. I used Common Loon for Bird A Day, at the risk of running out of winter birds at the end of the year, should I still be in the contest.

 However, 6 Great Egrets were the most I've seen so far this year, and on the way out I came upon my first Snowy Egret of the year, very close to the road. Perfect for a picture except the camera battery was dead. Not that the world needs another Snowy Egret photo.

Only 17 species on the Boulevard of Broken Asphalt today. What we need is a warm front pushing up from the south.

Brant  60
Canada Goose  2
American Black Duck  50
Bufflehead  6    channel beneath fifth bridge
Red-breasted Merganser  15
Common Loon  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  6
Snowy Egret  1
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  5
European Starling  20
Song Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  1    Trail at end of the road
Red-winged Blackbird  25
Common Grackle  1
Boat-tailed Grackle  100

No comments:

Post a Comment