Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Whitesbog 100 Challenge

Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Last weekend, after having another excellent day at Whitesbog (Red-shouldered Hawk, Least Bittern, Bobolink ...), it occurred to me that I had a very good shot at reporting 100 species for the month there. A new game to play. The hawk was #94 for the month. Almost immediately I regretted missing the Stilt Sandpipers that made an appearance one rainy afternoon after I'd left. I regretted even more blowing off the Brown-headed Cowbird Jim saw in the Middle Bog early in the month. It didn't seem worth the effort to move my scope. But so long as the weather held and the bogs didn't miraculously fill up, enough birds were "due" to make an appearance for me to hit the century mark. 

Two rarities, Ruff and Western Sandpiper, were already on the list. White-rumped Sandpiper, a
"regular" rarity, was too. What helped last week, was to add 2 birds, Caspian Tern and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, that I'd never seen before at Whitesbog. Then, on Wednesday, I got there pre-dawn and heard a Great Horned Owl out on the bogs, giving me 3 out of the "Nocturnal Four" (GHO, Screech Owl, nighthawk, whip-poor-will). I figured I was going to need screech to make the mark, but on Thursday, which started out dreary, I blasted through to 102 with a cowbird in the lower bog, two more "semi-regular" rarities in the American Golden-Plovers and the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, 14 flyover Glossy Ibises, along with number 100, a Wilson's Snipe. Now greed set in. Yesterday's surprise addition was Blue-winged Teal and today I met Jim pre-dawn for owls and we heard two Eastern Screech Owls, as well as seeing a Great Horned Owl hooting atop a tree. Before the remnants of Hurricane Laura (hey, a hurricane I can pronounce!) dropped a torrential downpour on us, an early Northern Harrier flew in from Ocean County for #105. 

To paraphrase Newton: If I have seen 105 species this month it only because I stood on the shoulders of giants, so I'd like to thank all the better birders who went around with me on the bogs, especially Jim. Together we probably walked a cumulative 50 miles this month around Whitesbog's dikes, Union Pond, Ditch Meadow, the village, Rome Pond Road and more and have the chigger bites to prove it. Persistence also pays: Aside from one day I went down to Tuckerton and one day I had a tooth extracted, I have visited there every day in August. 

Spotted Sandpiper

Tomorrow, I am going to give the place a rest. If I go back Monday, I may have a chance to add to the list (Little Blue Heron has not shown up yet this year), but once I got the screech-owl at 5:15 this morning, the game was over. 

The Whitesbog 100 (+5):
Key: Year bird; rarity

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Mallard
American Black Duck
Green-winged Teal
Wild Turkey
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk
Eastern Whip-poor-will
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden-Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Ruff
Least Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Caspian Tern
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Glossy Ibis
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Eastern Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owl
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
House Wren
Carolina Wren
European Starling
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
Ovenbird
Black-and-white Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak


Solitary Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment