Sunday, August 30, 2020

Palmyra Cove Nature Park 8/30--Least Flycatcher, Bay-breasted Warbler

Palmyra Cove Nature Park is a long 42 miles from here. On a weekday morning it takes about an hour and half to get there; on a Sunday morning, only an hour. Lots of traffic lights on ugly Rt 73. But if you want to have a good Burlco list, you have to bird this migrant trap on the Delaware. Lots of varied habitat--the river, the cove, the ponds, the woods. So, I've been considering making it my Sunday trip. It has the advantage of being fairly devoid of people once you get away from the parking lot and the river trail. About the only people you're likely to run into are birders--good birders. 

I knew Jim and Matt would be there today. In the dozen or so times I've visited, I've never gotten past a pier that juts out into the cove. The real Palmyra birders go another thousand feet or so to a footbridge that affords views of both the cove and the river. Since the river is tidal and this morning was dead low tide, I found the duo actually out in the cove, after finding the semi-hidden path off the trail that will get you there. I didn't lug out my scope which meant I wasn't able to see some the distant raptors that they were getting, but then, I've never had much luck scoping the sky anyway. Ravens, Osprey, & kestrel were new for the month for me, and we had Cooper's Hawk and 5 Bald Eagles fly over too. 

After a while we move back onto the bridge, checking out the gulls and Caspian Terns flying north & south. A pleasant and unexpected surprise of the morning was to see Scott coming on to the bridge--it was like seeing a bird make an appearance well out of its range. 

After walking back to the parking lot so Jim & Matt could store their scopes, we set out inland on the maze of trails through the woods and around ponds. I've never been real comfortable walking the trails there, not so much because I think I might get lost but because I fear winding up in a place I don't want to be with a long walk back to where I do want to be. 

It was a relatively slow day there and long stretches of the woods were quiet, but like most places, you find pockets of birds and those pockets were rewarding. Around the big pool birds were flitting--we picked out a redstart and an oriole and some flycatchers, one of which turned out to be a Least Flycatcher, a bird I often miss for the year, so it was good to finally see one after a long hiatus. Birds I wasn't necessarily thinking about made appearances--a Veery, a Black-throated Blue Warbler, a couple of Magnolia Warblers. All birds I don't see very often in my normal haunts. Then Matt found a Bay-breasted Warbler, another new one for the year. It was a tad difficult to get on and not in breeding plumage with only a hint of bay on the flanks, but a very good addition to the list. Unless I go to Magee Marsh in Ohio, I might only see one of those a year, so that's probably the one.

Scarlet Tanager

The last cool bird of the day was a female Scarlet Tanager which, being greenish yellow, blended in very well with the leaves it was sitting in.  (See above)

Spotted Lantern Flies

A disturbing sight was seeing my first Spotted Lantern Flies. I've seen billboards warning about them and the destruction to trees they cause, but until today I'd never seen one. I saw dozens today. So many of the trees there were crawling with the bugs. Some, it was true were on their natural host, the ailanthus tree (of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn fame), an introduced species, but others were on native trees. There's a phone number to report the bug, but I have the feeling that the authorities know about this infestation. What they can do about it, other than cutting down all the trees in the park, I don't know.  

I got 53 species on the day, which isn't a patch on what the better birders were getting; a later start and the inability to i.d. birds on the wing kept my numbers down. But by far, the best day I've ever had at Palmyra.

Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  33
Wild Turkey  5
Rock Pigeon   40
Mourning Dove  2
Chimney Swift  7
Lesser Yellowlegs  1    Bridge
Laughing Gull  30
Ring-billed Gull  4
Herring Gull  1
Caspian Tern  7
Double-crested Cormorant  11
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  4
Green Heron  1
Black Vulture  4    With flock of TUVU
Turkey Vulture  6
Osprey  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  6
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1    Heard
American Kestrel  1    Cove perched on tree
Peregrine Falcon  2    Distant @ cove
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least Flycatcher  1    Small with pronounced eye ring
Eastern Phoebe  1
Warbling Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  1
American Crow  1
Common Raven  3    Exact count
Carolina Chickadee  2    Heard
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Carolina Wren  8
Gray Catbird  3
Northern Mockingbird  1
Veery  1    Brown thrush with mostly unspotted breast
American Robin  6
Cedar Waxwing  37
American Goldfinch  3
Chipping Sparrow  5
Baltimore Oriole  1
Red-winged Blackbird  1    Cove
Common Grackle  1
American Redstart  2    One yellowstart
Magnolia Warbler  2
Bay-breasted Warbler  1    
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1    Handkerchief on wing
Scarlet Tanager  1    Female

No comments:

Post a Comment