Saturday, August 22, 2020

Whitesbog 8/22--Bobolink

 Getting to Whitesbog pre-dawn didn't get me much except to feel virtuous--no owls, despite stopping in a few known hot spots, no whip-poor-wills. Only Common Nighthawks, flying over the cedars out on the bogs in the gray dawn. Not even an interesting sunrise and at this time of year, no sunrise chorus. 

For the last few days the bogs haven't changed much either in water or bird content. There has been a

Western Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper hanging out in the middle bog and sometimes, it seems, two, but whether it (or they) are "continuing" or different birds has been a topic of discussion to which no conclusion has been (or probably can be) reached. 

I was standing at our parking spot with Jim and Matt, scoping the bogs when Jim pointed out a "plink" he heard from a Bobolink flying overhead. I wouldn't have been aware of the little sound had it not been pointed out and, as it was, barely heard it and wasn't going to count one call note for my year bird. But a few minutes later two more Bobolinks flew overhead, I could hear them and I could see them, so they went on the list. 

Another bird by ear this morning was on a trail that goes behind Rome Pond. Had I been by myself I would have been left wondering what it was--it was only a brief guttural grunt--and would likely have dismissed it as a squirrel, but Jim thought differently and, after playing the call of Least Bittern we decided that that was the mystery sound. I know that Least Bittern is at Whitesbog--I spent a few mornings looking over on the Ocean County side where my informant had been seeing and hearing one--but this is the first one for me at Whitesbog and also for Burlco. 

Wild Turkey
Another species I was happy to see today was Wild Turkey. Adults and poults were walking in the old blueberry field along the entrance road. I haven't come across a Wild Turkey at Whitesbog in quite a while, though I know they roam the area. 

After lunch I was going to walk back to Ditch Meadow and around Union Pond, but the sight of 4 motorcycles racing along the dikes and an SUV filled with yapping kids and dogs discouraged me, so I packed it in after 54 species in 7 hours and 16 minutes. But that doesn't count the nocturnal time listening for stubborn owls and nightjars. 


Canada Goose  2    Heard
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  25
Wild Turkey  7    
Mourning Dove  3
Common Nighthawk  4
Chimney Swift  7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Semipalmated Plover  4
Killdeer  2
Least Sandpiper  7
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  4
Western Sandpiper  1    
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  2    One each in Lower and Middle Bog
Lesser Yellowlegs  5
Ring-billed Gull  1    Flyover
Least Bittern  1    Heard call
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  3
Green Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1    Heard
Hairy Woodpecker  1    Heard Rome Pond Rd
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  6
Eastern Phoebe  1    Heard
Great Crested Flycatcher  1    Heard Lower Meadow
Eastern Kingbird  5
Red-eyed Vireo  4    village. One singing, 3 foraging in tree near Suningive
American Crow  5
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  3
Purple Martin  250
Tree Swallow  10
Bank Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Carolina Wren  5
Gray Catbird  20
American Robin  10
American Goldfinch  4
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  5
Bobolink  2    Flyover
Common Grackle  1    Flyover
Common Yellowthroat  5
Pine Warbler  3
Prairie Warbler  4
Northern Cardinal  1    Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment