Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Manahawkin WMA 4/17--Clapper Rail

Sunday was devoted to Ocean County. Looking for a place that wouldn't be crowded with families out for a Sunday stroll, or fishermen crowding the beaches, I drove down to the Manahawkin WMA. I was glad to see that the path to the back impoundment had been recently mowed. I walked down there with my scope and found a large number of Green-winged Teals. I was pleased to find about 10 Blue-winged Teals mixed in with them. Always a good bird, and not so easy for me in the county. There wasn't much else there to hold my interest, though I did do the full walk, about 2 1/2 miles back & forth, to the entrance on Hilliard. Driving back out on Stafford I heard something and stopped the car. Not sure. Driving along I saw another birder and just as I stopped the car again, I heard the call. The birder, from Massachusetts, asked me if that was a Clapper Rail and it was. 3 of them calling deep in the phragmites, with no desire to be seen. A good bird to get and one we missed yesterday, though another birder at Brig told us one had flown right over our car without our seeing it.
36 species
Canada Goose  3
Mute Swan  7
American Black Duck  3
Mallard  4
Blue-winged Teal  10
Green-winged Teal  120
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  9
Snowy Egret  1
Osprey  1
Clapper Rail  3     Heard, Stafford Av
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Herring Gull  15
Great Black-backed Gull  4
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1     Heard, Stafford Av
Fish Crow  3
Purple Martin  1
Tree Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1     Heard
Marsh Wren  1     Heard, trail
Carolina Wren  1     Heard, Stafford Av
American Robin  8
Pine Warbler  1     Heard Stafford Av
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
White-throated Sparrow  1     Heard, trail
Song Sparrow  5
Swamp Sparrow  1
Eastern Towhee  1     Heard, trail
Northern Cardinal  3
Red-winged Blackbird  15
American Goldfinch  1


No comments:

Post a Comment