Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Cattus Island 4/15--Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

In March, when Pete was telling me what wonderful birds we'd see in T&T, I said, "Yes, Pete, but they're not Ocean County birds." Today, after a day of rest (we got home at 3 A.M. the previous morning), I headed out to start finding some of the birds that had returned during our vacation.

I wasn't out of the parking lot, I was barely out of the car, before I heard, then quickly saw, my FOY Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, zipping around the branches of a tree. Too fast to get a picture there, but I thought there might be others more cooperative. Nope. Only the one I saw and the one I heard behind me in the parking lot.

My first Ocean County list for the month:
31 species (+1 other taxa)
Canada Goose  2
Mallard  1
Bufflehead  8
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret  1
Little Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  7
Herring Gull  10
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  2     Heard
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  3
Tree Swallow  9
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  1     Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  2
Pine Warbler  2     Heard
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  2     Heard
Northern Cardinal  1     Heard
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
American Goldfinch  2     Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment