Saturday, December 4, 2010

Too windy to bird today

We gave it a try; after giving up on the idea of going to Brig or Sandy Hook, we decided to try Jones Beach, stopping first @ Pt. Lookout. It was very windy there and only eiders were in the water. When we got to Jones Beach the wind was stiff and I didn’t even feel like getting out of the car. My enthusiasm for birding just drained out of me. I hate the wind.

On the way back on The Belt, Shari asked if we should give JBWR a go and I said sure, let’s see, the day shouldn’t be a total loss. When we drove into the parking lot there were a slew of cardinals on the ground plus one mocker. That seemed like a good sign. The wind didn’t seem too bad in the lot. More cardinals were at the head of the trail.

As soon as we got past the alley of trees that leads to the pond and the bay the wind picked up and by the time we reached Bench 6, our eyes tearing up and the scope swaying unsteadily in the wind, we decided to bag it.

I suggested a walk in the gardens, away from the 30 mph gusts, but only more cardinals were to be found. So, it was essentially an “unproductive” day of birding. I won’t even bother listing what we did see—there was nothing special or unexpected.

Tomorrow’s forecast is for even stronger winds. We’re staying in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment