Friday, May 25, 2012

Double Trouble 5/25--Veery, Hooded Warbler

Ear birding. Foggy & overcast at Double Trouble early this morning (6:30 AM) and a lot of birds were singing but not showing. I'm glad I know the songs of a lot of them, but it is fundamentally unsatisfying to only hear pretty birds.

The Veery was pretty easy to pick out by ear. Here's the test I run when I think I've heard one: Does it sound like a theremin?  If yes: Veery.

The Hooded Warbler was more difficult. I heard a song I didn't know, knew it was probably a warbler, knew HOWA had been reported there, looked up the bird in Peterson for his transcription and was pretty sure I'd heard it when after the 2nd time around the loop I heard it again in the same place as the first. Except his transcription leaves out a "weet." When I came home and played the song on my computer it was almost exactly what I'd heard--a little less piercing on the recording. I could have been fooled into thinking it was a Carolina Wren if I hadn't seen and heard one today.

The Willow Flycatcher I heard once and saw it briefly fly (not well enough to make an i.d.) but the "fitz-bew" of a Willow is fairly easy to register and remember.

With all the listening I was very happy to actually see birds today--even a flying Mallard was a good sight. The most amusing scene was watching the Barn Swallows fly under the bridge to their nest where I could hear their chicks begging for food.

In all 35 species, covering a large portion of the park.
Mallard  4
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  1
Herring Gull  1    f/o
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1    Heard
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1    Heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1    Heard
Willow Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  4
Great Crested Flycatcher  4    Heard
Eastern Kingbird  4
Blue Jay  1    Heard
Fish Crow  1
Tree Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  6    Nesting under Carriage Rd Bridge.
Carolina Chickadee  3
Carolina Wren  1
Veery  1    Heard
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  8
Brown Thrasher  1
Ovenbird  7    Heard
Black-and-white Warbler  2    Heard
Common Yellowthroat  6    Heard
Hooded Warbler  1    Heard
Prairie Warbler  2    Heard
Eastern Towhee  2    Heard
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  5
House Finch  1    Heard
American Goldfinch  1    Heard

3 comments:

  1. No "trouble" finding the Hooded ? Mary heard it well but the darn thing wouldnt show ! then it was right above us all the time and I missed it completely ! ;(> Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Larry, sorry you weren't there when we were. Yes, heard, but not seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish we could have joined you guys but Chincoteague, despite the winds, was a success--BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH.

      Delete