Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Backyard 5/1--Ruby-throated Hummingbird

While investigating a commotion in some low shrubs which turned out to be two House Wrens chasing each other--don't know if these are our tenants from the bird house or another pair--I raised my binoculars and saw, quite by happenstance, a Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched on a thin branch. Shari had seen one yesterday--I would have liked to have put it on the April list, but it's a good way to start off May. Later I saw it (or another?--they can look so different as the light changes) at one of our feeders.

A couple of other notes: Gray Catbirds are around again in small numbers--one was eating suet, which seemed a little unusual. And for the first time I actually saw our bird bath being used--a robin was vigorously splashing itself late this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment