Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Backyard 5/9--Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Pouring rain this morning limited my birding to window watching. Five Wild Turkeys picking seeds from under the feeders started the day from the kitchen window. One of them was limping, which I found distressing. Later, looking out the back window I saw a bunny on the lawn and behind it, a towhee. Odd-looking towhee, didn't seem to have much rufous coloring on the side. When I put my binoculars on it I immediately called Shari to come see, because it wasn't a towhee, rather our first backyard (and FOY) Rose-breasted Grosbeak! I've wanted a Rose-breasted Grosbeak on our lawn since we moved here and thought we had a decent chance when I saw them reported around the county earlier this month. Shari said she'd seen the bird the other day but thought it was a towhee since she only saw it from the rear. So I guess it's hanging around, which is good, because by the time Shari was able to get out her camera, it had flown into the bushes at the edge of the yard.

Window list:
8 species
Wild Turkey  5    
Mourning Dove  1
Chipping Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Common Grackle  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
American Goldfinch  4

No comments:

Post a Comment