Sunday, May 6, 2012

Winding Hills County Park 5/6--Eastern Wood-Pewee

This morning I got up early and walked around what I'm calling Pleasure Grounds Park in Montgomery, NY. Our hostess didn't know what the park's official name is, on Google Maps the area isn't named, and the only evidence I have for the name is an historic plaque that says the area was once called Pleasure Grounds because there were horse races, picnics, and boy scout gatherings there.

I was hoping for warblers. I've been hoping for warblers all month and last month too. I only found Yellow-rumped Warblers.  However, I did see a beauty of a Cooper's Hawk fly into a tree and observed it preen itself for quite a while, watched a drake Mallard chase a hen, forcing her to abandon here 12 ducklings and I tried to not to make a moral judgement about the situation, heard a Black-capped Chickadee for the first time in a couple of months, and generally found enough birds to make the walk worthwhile.

Late in the morning Shari, our friend and I walked around another park in the area that does have an official name: Winding Hills County Park. While we saw or heard few birds there, the few that were in evidence included a Wild Turkey (always fun to see, even if they're becoming routine at home) and heard, for the first time this year, the high whistle of an Eastern Wood-Pewee.

For the weekend I had 36 species of birds and 2 FOY and today's list looks like this:

Mute Swan
WH
Mallard
PGP
Wild Turkey
WH
Great Blue Heron
WH
Cooper's Hawk
PGP
Spotted Sandpiper
PGP
Chimney Swift
PGP
Red-bellied Woodpecker
PGP
Northern Flicker
PGP
Eastern Wood-Pewee
WH
Eastern Phoebe
PGP
Blue Jay
PGP
American Crow
PGP
Fish Crow
PGP
Black-capped Chickadee
PGP
Tufted Titmouse
PGP
White-breasted Nuthatch
PGP
American Robin
PGP
Gray Catbird
PGP
European Starling
PGP
Yellow-rumped Warbler
PGP
Northern Cardinal
PGP
House Sparrow
PGP

No comments:

Post a Comment