Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Puerto Rico--Miscellaneous Amazing Animal Fact

I was sitting on our balcony at the hotel when I saw the branches of a tree move. That's usually a good sign of bird activity so I kept looking at the bouncing branch. But it wasn't a bird.
Photo by Shari Zirlin
Who knew iguanas climbed trees? Apparently they go up at night in search of bugs.

There were dozens of these bruisers all around the grounds, groups of them lolling on islands in the artificial ponds giving the place a "Land That Time Forgot" kind of vibe. One of our guidebooks said that they make unusual hazards on golf courses. They're harmless, although I didn't get too close just in case--those claws are formidable. Mostly they sit. If you get within their discomfort range (about 10 feet, I'd say) they raise up their heads and flap their wattles at you.
Photo by Shari Zirlin
Pretty scary, I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment