Saturday, May 2, 2020

Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve 5/2--Red-eyed Vireo, Hooded Warbler

The Bridge at the Huber Preserve
With the state and county parks reopening today, I wanted no part of birding there, figuring they would be overrun with Jerseyans yearning to get out. I thought the Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve would be an obscure enough area to walk around. So I was annoyed to find another car in the dirt turnoff at the entrance.

Fortunately the car belonged to a friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in quite a while. We met at the T that is just before the bridge--he was making his way back having been there since dawn. He doubled back with me for a while as we caught up--from a distance of 6 feet. I'm almost getting used to having conversations at distance that a few months ago would imply body odor; I pity the hard of hearing.

Once again I missed the Louisiana Waterthrush that he had seen earlier but I was happy to hear my first Red-eyed Vireo and first Hooded Warblers--plural on the warblers. I counted 3; there were probably twice that many. With the trees leafing out and thick brush by the streams, you better accept that you're going to be doing a lot of ear birding.

While we were standing on the trail a jogger came by. Until this year, no one jogged at the Huber Preserve. Then a couple just taking a little hike came by (they gave us a wide berth), the man in shorts. Shorts at what could also be called the Huber Tick Preserve! I parted with my friend and walked on hearing lots of Ovenbirds and of course, Prairie Warblers. Where those three other people went I have no idea, but I wasn't about to depart from the wider trails where you can really pick up ticks.

Coming back I saw another couple walking a dog (they were also in shorts) and then as I approached the parking area where the trail is fairly narrow, there were so many people coming in that I was obliged to put on my mask. I probably saw as many people there today as I have seen combined in all the times I have gone there.  I shudder to think what a popular place was like today.

For the walk I had 24 species. On the way home, on the side of Rt 70, I had my first Burlco turkey of the year.

Mourning Dove  1
Herring Gull  1    Flyover
Turkey Vulture  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2    Heard
Northern Flicker  1    Heard
Eastern Phoebe  3    Two at the bridge, heard one at the entrance
Great Crested Flycatcher  3
White-eyed Vireo  5
Red-eyed Vireo  1    Heard
Fish Crow  1    Heard
Carolina Chickadee  2    Heard
Tufted Titmouse  4    Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Carolina Wren  2
Gray Catbird  1    Heard
Eastern Towhee  10    Heard
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Ovenbird  20    Heard
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  5
Hooded Warbler  3    Heard
Pine Warbler  9
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
Prairie Warbler  10    Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment