Thursday, May 7, 2020

Great Bay Blvd 5/7--Clapper Rail, Least Sandpiper, Tricolored Heron, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, Saltmarsh Sparrow

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
I'm not going to find any shorebirds or herons walking around in the woods and since I felt the need to see some, I drove down early this morning to Great Bay Blvd in Tuckerton. Since I'm way behind this year, it was easy to add both year and county birds and I saw quite a number of favorites, which is what is really important.

Tricolored Heron
Gull-billed Terns at the bulwark, where they're supposed to be. A Tricolored Heron in the marsh; usually my first Tricolor is a Cattus Island but this year everything is different. At the the wind monitoring station before the 2nd wooden bridge, another birder asked me if I needed Yellow-crowned Night-heron, always a good bird to find. Indeed I did and a walk down a narrow path and a peek through the reeds brought me to the bird. The last couple of years Shari & I have made the trip to the Ocean City Visitor's Center rookery to find the yellow-crowns on their nest, but not this year.

I heard a few Clapper Rails and I heard a lot of Seaside Sparrows, but it wasn't until I got to the inlet that I actually saw one of the Seasides. I was looking for Red Knots and didn't come up with any--the tide was very high, leaving little shore for them to pick at--but I made a second attempt about an hour later after walking the road and I was glad I did because I found, among the other sparrows, my first Saltmarsh Sparrow of the year. There was also a beautiful, breeding plumage Common Loon.
Common Loon
But my favorite bird today was my favorite bird, the first Cedar Waxwing I've seen since January. It was pointed out to me by a friend I had been talking to. She was in her car and I was walking back to mine. She drove off, stopped, pointed out her window, and there above her was the waxwing.

Cedar Waxwing
There was a big mixed flock of Black-bellied Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers, and Dunlins and in among them, a solitary Ruddy Turnstone. And both birders that I spoke to today mentioned the turnstone. It stood out so prominently in the distant flock that we each braked the moment we saw it. 

I suppose if I had more patience I might have picked something else out of those big flocks but I was satisfied with what I had. I left when the road started getting too busy. 

I had 46 species driving up and down the boulevard, 48 if you count the swans and Common Grackle that I listed separately at Holly Lake. 

Brant  110
Canada Goose  4    two pairs
Mourning Dove  1
Clapper Rail  5    Heard
American Oystercatcher  1    Inlet
Black-bellied Plover  300
Ruddy Turnstone  1    
Dunlin  200
Least Sandpiper  4
Short-billed Dowitcher  25
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  5
Willet  10
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Laughing Gull  2
Herring Gull  100
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Gull-billed Tern  4
Forster's Tern  20
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  33
Great Egret  25
Snowy Egret  5
Tricolored Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  3
Bald Eagle  2    Nest looks like it is falling apart due to recent heavy weather
Belted Kingfisher  2
Fish Crow  2
Tree Swallow  5
Barn Swallow  50
Gray Catbird  5
Northern Mockingbird  1
American Robin  1
Cedar Waxwing  1
Seaside Sparrow  10
Saltmarsh Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  10
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Boat-tailed Grackle  40
Common Yellowthroat  10
Yellow Warbler  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Prairie Warbler  1    South of second wooden bridge
Northern Cardinal  2

No comments:

Post a Comment