Monday, May 11, 2020

Emson Preserve 5/11--Scarlet Tanager

Scarlet Tanager
One by-product of a slow April is that almost every day in May I've found a new bird for the year without wandering very far from home. I suppose that's a compensation.

I started the morning walking in the Emson Preserve in New Egypt. When I started going there in the winter, all the oaks in the woods looked like it might be a good warbler trap. That didn't pan out today--hardly any warblers, and no interesting ones that I could find.

The surprise bird, the year bird, was a lovely Scarlet Tanager that flew in about a third of my way around the loop. I only managed to get a photo of his back, but that's better than I normally do with the warblers and vireos.

The driveway to the small parking lot which is lined on one side by trees and bushes all a-tangle and on the other side by a mowed field, can be more interesting to walk than in the woods. Bluebirds are always to be found and I had a Blue Grosbeak fly into the bushes and pose for a moment. Sparrows, not surprisingly are gone, but catbirds are every 20 feet.

Red-headed Woodpecker
There was a light rain shower almost the entire time I was in the woods, but the sun came out after I completed the loop. I drove over to Colliers Mills, about 5 minutes away, figuring the day would stay nice, but it almost immediately clouded over and got blustery. I walked the fields along Success Road but didn't turn up anything I hoped for--there were lots of swallows, some sitting on the gravel, some sitting on the wires, some actually flying. I walked into the woods behind the fields to try to track down a Red-headed Woodpecker, just to see if I could.

I could. I like that I can find them by following their "Queer" calls. Unlike most other bird calls, where I have a hard time locating the source, with Red-heads I can walk directly to where they're calling and see them. No idea why this bird is the exception.  I also like that once they fly in, they tend to pose.

Between the two spots I observed 37 species:
Mallard   1
Mourning Dove   4
Turkey Vulture   4
Red-tailed Hawk   3
Red-headed Woodpecker   1
Red-bellied Woodpecker   2
Northern Flicker   1
Eastern Phoebe   2
Great Crested Flycatcher   5
Eastern Kingbird   1
White-eyed Vireo   2
Warbling Vireo   4
Blue Jay   4
Fish Crow   1
Tufted Titmouse   1
Purple Martin   3
Tree Swallow   10
Barn Swallow   18
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher   1
Carolina Wren   2
European Starling   19
Gray Catbird   20
Northern Mockingbird   4
Eastern Bluebird   7
Wood Thrush   1
American Robin   20
Chipping Sparrow   4
Field Sparrow   2
Eastern Towhee   1
Baltimore Oriole   1
Red-winged Blackbird   10
Ovenbird   7
Common Yellowthroat   4
Yellow-rumped Warbler   5
Scarlet Tanager   1
Northern Cardinal   1
Blue Grosbeak   3

No comments:

Post a Comment