Thursday, March 8, 2012

Whiting WMA 3/8--Pine Warbler

Spring must be close. I saw my first Pine Warbler this morning flitting low among (what else?) the small pitch pines in the 2nd open area. I almost wrote "my first warbler," but of course, yellow-rumps have been common this winter and then there was the Yellow-breasted Chat at the NYPL.

On the lake this morning were 5 Ring-necked Ducks--3 drakes, 2 hens. Anthropomorphizing again, it looks like the lonely drake I've been seeing has found some friends, but, is he the fifth wheel?

18 species this morning. The counts are climbing.
Canada Goose  4
Mallard  2
Ring-necked Duck  5
Mourning Dove  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
Pine Warbler  1
Song Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  11
Common Grackle  1
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  3

No comments:

Post a Comment