Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Whiting WMA 3/7--Fish Crow

I saw my first Fish Crow of the year today in the WMA. I heard what I thought was a Fish Crow while walking near Congasia Road, but it was so faint that I wasn't certain. Later, while walking by what I call "the third open area," I heard it again, louder, then looked up to see a crow flying over, the hoarse croak seemingly trailing behind it.

Grackles are starting to show up; single birds flew overhead 3 times. No sign of the Wood Ducks. One goose was standing up in the grass at the end of a cove by the lake. I keep thinking "nest."

Robins and (Uh-oh!) starlings were on the lawn this morning.

14 species this morning on my walk.
Canada Goose  5    Four f/o, one on lake
Mourning Dove  1
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  2
Song Sparrow  1
Common Grackle  3
American Goldfinch  6

No comments:

Post a Comment