Monday, March 5, 2012

Whiting WMA 3/5--Wood Ducks

I caught a couple of looks at Wood Ducks on the lake today. They were in an ideal spot for them, a secluded cove protected by overhanging tree limbs and bushes along the banks. They first flew back toward the end of the cove where Michael's Branch comes into the lake; then when I walked toward there, I flushed them back to where they were, but they hid really well, and when Wood Ducks want to hide, they're very good at it. But I saw the unmistakable colorful helmets and heard one of them squeak. I guess whoever put that Wood Duck box on the tree in the middle of the water knew something. Maybe the ducks will take advantage of the prefab home provided for them.

No sign of the geese today; that's why I was checking out that cove.

I killed a little time at the lake on Schoolhouse Road this morning while waiting to pick up Shari from an appointment.  A red-tail flew over and a lone ring-bill sat on the gazebo roof.

My combined list for the day, 21 species

Wood Duck
Mallard
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch

No comments:

Post a Comment