Monday, March 12, 2012

Whiting WMA 3/12--Tree Swallows

I have yet to get out of Ocean County to bird this month. (Well, we gave it a try yesterday, driving around Atlantic County a bit, but it was much too windy to do any satisfactory birding.)

Today I was back in the WMA. 5 Fish Crows. That seems surprising, especially the 3 that were not by the lake but in the dead tree near a couple of hundred feet from our house (they flew into the WMA so they count for the WMA).

While scanning for bluebirds in the 3rd field a bird zoomed by my field of vision, then another. And another. Taking my eyes away from my binoculars I looked up to find my first Tree Swallows of the year--7 in all. Another harbinger of spring.

4 Ring-necked Ducks remain on the  lake--3 drakes and one hen. One of the hens from last week has apparently peeled off.

21 species--the most I've found in the WMA at one time this year.
Canada Goose  1
Mallard  1
Ring-necked Duck  4
Turkey Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1
Fish Crow  5
Tree Swallow  7
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  5
Carolina Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  5
American Robin  2
Pine Warbler  2
Song Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  5
Northern Cardinal  1
Common Grackle  1
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment