Friday, March 2, 2012

Whiting WMA 3/2--Nature Note

The Ring-necked Duck is back on the lake. He probably never left and I just haven't seen him. It was sweet to watch the little wake he made in the still water. He's still looking for pals. I spotted him alone in the middle of the water. Then I heard ducks to my right. 3 Mallards, 2 drakes and a hen, were proceeding to the far shore. The Ring-neck swam over to them, coming within a few feet of the 3 ducks. Here is what I learned today: Mallards can swim a lot faster than Ring-neck Ducks. They left him in the dust if you'll excuse the inappropriate metaphor.

2 Canada Geese were also on the lake. I suspect they may nest there, since they came out of a protected cove, where I also saw a couple yesterday. They're honking was incredibly loud and echoing and echoing off of what I don't know--there are no hills or vertical surfaces around there except for trees. Maybe the echo is off the water itself.

17 species this morning.
Canada Goose  2
Mallard  3
Ring-necked Duck  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Eastern Bluebird  3
Song Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  5
Northern Cardinal  2
American Goldfinch  4

No comments:

Post a Comment