Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pier One 10/13--Can't Count It

I found this white and blue Budgie on Pier One this morning, sitting on a railing along the path beside the salt marsh.  I took this picture with my primitive phone-camera; I was standing next to it, so obviously it is very tame (though not trusting enough to hop on my finger) and an escapee. The photo doesn't do justice to the subtle blue highlights on its wings.  You can't "count" escapees, but it was still a surprise on a misty morning walk. 

I was interested to see who stopped to look at it and who didn't--dog walkers yes, joggers no. 

Not as many birds as the other day (no warblers) but the Swamp Sparrow was the first I've seen in a few months.

12 species (not counting the parakeet)
American Black Duck 5
Mallard 3
Double-crested Cormorant 4
Ring-billed Gull 5
Herring Gull 5
Eastern Phoebe 2
Gray Catbird 1
European Starling 2
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 30
Dark-eyed Junco 4
House Sparrow 25

2 comments:

  1. Joggers stop to notice, much less admire, the universe around them? Unlikely.

    ReplyDelete