Monday, October 24, 2011

Whiting WMA 10/24--Bald Eagle

It seems that every morning walk I take in the WMA goes the same...nothing, not much, not much, BOOM!

Today I saw or heard only a few of the most expected species as I walked the trails until I reached the lake when I saw a huge raptor taking off. I've seen an Osprey there but after less than a second I saw the white tail and the brilliant white head and had my first Bald Eagle in Whiting. And that seemed to open the gates, because on my way back I started to find some interesting birds; or maybe it was just because the sun was warming up the woods, getting the bugs going which gets the birds going.

The 2nd interesting bird I found was toward the end of the walk when the first Hermit Thrush I've seen back there popped up on a branch for a few seconds. That makes 52 species I've found in the WMA and I've only poked around the perimeter of it. I don't find as many birds in there as I do in Prospect Park, but what I do find is usually "choice."

13 species today:

Bald Eagle

Mourning Dove

Red-bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay

American Crow

Carolina Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Eastern Towhee

White-throated Sparrow



No comments:

Post a Comment