Saturday, May 8, 2021

Great Bay Blvd 5/8--Saltmarsh Sparrow

Saltmarsh Sparrow, in flight
In baseball, you hit 'em where they ain't. In birding, I go where it ain't raining. A crescent of precipitation was encroaching on my favorite spots this morning from Pemberton to Pt. Pleasant, but Tuckerton, on the radar, looked dry. I didn't expect much warbler activity, but there might be a few interesting birds down there to see. 

I drove the 4+ miles from the first bridge down to the inlet and, while the waders and shorebirds were in good numbers both in quantity and diversity, it wasn't until I was walking the mud flats at the in lets where I kicked up one of the birds I usually find there, a Saltmarsh Sparrow.  The one photo I managed shows the bird flying away, but that's more than I usually get. 

Red Knots
This time of year also provides a good window for Red Knots, and while they were on my list, they were lousy looks from Brig, so when I saw three foraging around the feet of lingering Brant I was happy. Other interesting sights included two Clapper Rails running across the road right in front of my, luckily, slow moving car; an unusual for the spot Blue-winged Teal; and a couple of small groups of Gull-billed Terns. The only warblers I found were the expect Common Yellowthroats, Yellow Warblers, and one Magnolia Warbler just before the 2nd wooden bridge. 

I spent over 5 hours at Great Bay Blvd, driving its length and walking from the inlet up to the first wooden bridge and back. I managed 53 species on the cool, breezy, but essentially dry day. 

Brant  122
Canada Goose  4
Mute Swan  1
Blue-winged Teal  1
Mallard  1
American Black Duck  4
Mourning Dove  5
Clapper Rail  9
American Oystercatcher  1
Black-bellied Plover  230
Semipalmated Plover  22
Red Knot  5
Dunlin  280
Least Sandpiper  7
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1
Short-billed Dowitcher  25
Greater Yellowlegs  20
Willet  12
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Laughing Gull  25
Herring Gull  75
Great Black-backed Gull  4
Gull-billed Tern  9
Forster's Tern  50
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  19
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  45
Snowy Egret  25
Tricolored Heron  3
Black-crowned Night-Heron  5
Glossy Ibis  8
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  8
Bald Eagle  1
Blue Jay  1
Fish Crow  5
Tree Swallow  5
Barn Swallow  25
Gray Catbird  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
American Robin  2
House Finch  2
Seaside Sparrow  5
Saltmarsh Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  6
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Boat-tailed Grackle  30
Common Yellowthroat  7
Magnolia Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  2
Northern Cardinal  3
Clapper Rail


No comments:

Post a Comment