Thursday, May 13, 2021

Brig 5/13--Least Tern

I did two loops around Brig today with Bob Auster and, with 81 species, thought I had done pretty well until I looked at some other lists, including Bob's, and noted what I'd missed. Part of the problem is that Bob hears a lot better than I do, so I missed a couple of warblers. Some of it is just luck (bad on my part)--after we parted, he had a Scarlet Tanager on the way out of the refuge. 

While standing on the north dike, scoping a huge flock of Dunlin, I said to Bob that I'd never be the one to find a Curlew Sandpiper in amongst them. I see a huge flock of birds all the same size and I get what I can only describe as visual fatigue very quickly; I just can't look at that many birds all the same size, all the same color. If a godwit or Long-billed Curlew was standing in the middle of the flock, sure, that I'd find, but not a bird that looks more or less like all the others. I specialize in easy rarities--spoonbills, lapwings, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, White Ibises. The Western Sandpiper we saw today wasn't found by me--that was Bob's perspicacity.  

And, in between our two trips, a group arrived led by a much, much better birder than either of us. Sure enough, there was a Curlew Sandpiper at Brig today, right around Marker 4 where Bob & I spent a lot of time scanning in the morning. In the afternoon, on our second trip, the water was much higher and there were few birds in the pools, so we didn't stop to scan again. Of course, had we, I wouldn't have found the bird; Bob probably yes. 

American Avocet
For a day list of 81 species, I would hope for more than one year bird, but, I guess I've seen a lot of easy birds this year because only the Least Tern we saw at the NE Corner was new for me, although the "returning" American Avocets at the dogleg were a state year bird--I'd seen hundreds earlier this year in Delaware . Last year there was a small contingent of avocets all through the summer, so when I heard there were avocets again at Brig for the third year running, I didn't feel any urge to immediately rush right down. In fact, I hardly ever feel that urge anymore. But, I was happy to see them today, they being one of my favorite birds. 

Snow Goose  2
Brant  22
Canada Goose  80
Mute Swan  20
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  14
American Black Duck  100
Pied-billed Grebe  1     Exit pond.\
Mourning Dove  5
Clapper Rail  4
American Avocet  3    
American Oystercatcher  2
Black-bellied Plover  9
Semipalmated Plover  15
Whimbrel  25
Ruddy Turnstone  11
Stilt Sandpiper  1
Dunlin  1600
Least Sandpiper  200
Semipalmated Sandpiper  50
Western Sandpiper  1     Reddish back slight droop to beak east dike w Dunlin
Short-billed Dowitcher  400
Greater Yellowlegs  50
Willet  15
Lesser Yellowlegs  50     Large flock
Bonaparte's Gull  3
Laughing Gull  30
Ring-billed Gull  20
Herring Gull  25
Great Black-backed Gull  4
Least Tern  1
Gull-billed Tern  15
Caspian Tern  4
Forster's Tern  30
Black Skimmer  145
Double-crested Cormorant  15
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  24
Snowy Egret  4
Turkey Vulture  5
Osprey  10
Bald Eagle  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     Heard parking lot
Great Crested Flycatcher  5
Eastern Kingbird  4
White-eyed Vireo  2     Heard
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  15
Carolina Chickadee  3     Heard
Tufted Titmouse  2     Heard
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  8
Purple Martin  50
Tree Swallow  20
Barn Swallow  10
House Wren  1     Heard picnic area
Marsh Wren  3     Heard
Carolina Wren  1     Heard
European Starling  5
Gray Catbird  30
Eastern Bluebird  2
Wood Thrush  1     Jen's Trail
American Robin  4
Cedar Waxwing  1
House Finch  5
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  2     Heard
Seaside Sparrow  5     Heard
Saltmarsh Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  4
Red-winged Blackbird  150
Brown-headed Cowbird  5
Common Grackle  1
Boat-tailed Grackle  3
Ovenbird  2     Heard
Common Yellowthroat  15
Yellow Warbler  10
Northern Cardinal  3
Ruddy Turnstone


No comments:

Post a Comment