Saturday, March 13, 2021

Eno's Pond 3/13--Lesser Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs
I did a big loop today starting at Cloverdale, running south to Manhawkin, then up Route 9 to Eno's Pond. Eno's Pond was an afterthought since I still hadn't found anything new either for the year or the county, almost everything I found was of the "usual suspects" variety. I'm not complaining about bluebirds or Pine Warblers or the various waterfowl I encountered, but places that I thought should have new inventory didn't until I remembered Eno's Pond. The reason I decided to go there was because I'd noticed how low the tide was at Bay Parkway in Waretown (swans, Brant, 3 kinds of ducks...) and thought that boded well for the "pond" in back which I hoped would be mud flats. It was and it had a small flock of Greater Yellowlegs feeding on it, nothing spectacular but the first shorebirds I'd had all day. I walked into the woods and got a different angle on the pond and noticed that at least a couple of the yellowlegs appeared "daintier" as I once heard Greg describe them and they were feeding on the mud flats, not up to their bellies in water like the Greater Yellowlegs tend to do and so I decided, after looking at the bill length, that I had a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs mixed in. I never could get them to stand next to each other--when they do the difference is so obvious that, as Greg and I were discussing yesterday, you wonder how ever confuse them, but today I only had a moment's comparison before the two birds parted. Not the most spectacular sighting of the year, but a good way to end the day.
Greater Yellowlegs

I made a stop on Collinstown Road as part of the loop. I thought at first there was nothing there of note, but soon birds started popping up and I walked the road which is about a half mile. A portion of Collinstown Road borders Forsythe-Barnegat property, but most of it is private land and while I have exchanged pleasantries with the owner of the big house on the road and petted his dog, I still feel uncomfortable glassing his fields. While I was doing that and older woman in a white sedan pulled up, rolled down her window and said, "I live here." I say an "older woman" but at this point in my life I have to admit she isn't a whole lot older than me--it's just style I suppose that makes me think of her as someone's grandma and me as an old kid. I said she had a  

Pine Warbler, Collinstown Rd

wonderful backyard, full of birds, and she told me she'd been born there, that her mother left the "farm" (there is a chrysanthemum nursery in back) to her daughter and how you had to protect the land and what a shame it was how much development was going on--perfectly sweet and mellow. Then, she shot her arm out the car window and pointed diagonally across her property toward the back and scowled, "But THAT Motherf88cker over there is cutting down trees and filling in the stream, he doesn't give a damn about nature!" Whoa Grandma! I told her that filling in a stream was probably illegal and she could report him to the DEP but that made little impression. She wants him caught but I think she'd prefer rougher justice. Then she told me to enjoy my day and not to get shot and drove into their driveway. I've been reading a book about how your brain automatically make assessments based on little information and how most of the time it is correct. Most of the time. The sweet little old lady assessment was obviously out of kilter. 

Counting the Brown Creeper that Shari noticed climbing the pitch pine out back, I tallied 48 species in Barnegat, Manahawkin, Waretown, and Forked River, and Whiting. 

Species    First Sighting
Brant   Bay Pkwy
Canada Goose   Cloverdale Farm
Mute Swan   Manahawkin WMA
Mallard   Cloverdale Farm
American Black Duck   Manahawkin WMA
Northern Pintail   Manahawkin WMA
Green-winged Teal   Manahawkin WMA
Ring-necked Duck   Eno’s Pond
Greater Scaup   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Long-tailed Duck   Bay Pkwy
Bufflehead   Cloverdale Farm
Hooded Merganser   Manahawkin WMA
Red-breasted Merganser   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Horned Grebe   Bay Pkwy
Mourning Dove   Cloverdale Farm
Greater Yellowlegs   Eno’s Pond
Lesser Yellowlegs   Eno’s Pond
Ring-billed Gull   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Herring Gull   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Great Black-backed Gull   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Common Loon   Bay Pkwy
Double-crested Cormorant   Bay Pkwy
Great Blue Heron   Cloverdale Farm
Turkey Vulture   Cloverdale Farm
Belted Kingfisher   Cloverdale Farm
Red-bellied Woodpecker   Cloverdale Farm
Downy Woodpecker   Cloverdale Farm
Blue Jay   Cloverdale Farm
American Crow   Bay Pkwy
Fish Crow   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Carolina Chickadee   Manahawkin WMA
Tufted Titmouse   Cloverdale Farm
Red-breasted Nuthatch   Cloverdale Farm
White-breasted Nuthatch   Cloverdale Farm
Brown Creeper   35 Sunset Rd
Carolina Wren   Manahawkin WMA
Eastern Bluebird   Cloverdale Farm
American Robin   Cloverdale Farm
House Finch   Cloverdale Farm
American Goldfinch   Cloverdale Farm
Dark-eyed Junco   Cloverdale Farm
White-throated Sparrow   Collinstown Road
Song Sparrow   Cloverdale Farm
Red-winged Blackbird   Cloverdale Farm
Boat-tailed Grackle   Barnegat Municipal Dock
Pine Warbler   Cloverdale Farm
Yellow-rumped Warbler   Cloverdale Farm
Northern Cardinal   Cloverdale Farm

Northern Cardinal, Cloverdale Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment