Friday, March 12, 2021

Island Beach SP 3/12--Northern Gannet

Last year around this time I remember a spectacular gannet show was on display at both Barnegat Light and Island Beach--thousands of birds migrating north, swirling high and diving into the ocean in uncountable numbers. 5000? 10,000? Who could tell?  

Today, hoping for a repeat, I went to Island Beach. I saw exactly two Northern Gannets, one flying low going north, one flying low going south. How I managed to avoid seeing gannets until the middle of March I don't know, but at least I got a look at a couple. Time's running out on the winter birds--no complaints, just a statement of fact. There's always a second chance at the end of the year but by then, I find, I'm often running out of steam and don't want to spend time looking for this or that species. 

I ran into Greg on Reed's Road and we birded a few spots in the park. On Spizzle Creek he spotted a female Purple Finch perched in a tree which gave me a county year bird; lots of loons on the ocean, lots of Buffleheads on the bay. Probably the most interesting species I found today was later on when we'd parted. I took a walk on the Tidal Pond trail and in the blind, on the pond, where there is almost always nothing, I found, besides two Mallards, a beautiful pair of Wood Ducks. Wood Ducks are scarce on the barrier island--not much habitat for them. My only other records of Wood Ducks there have been migrating ducks mixed in with other ducks that those with sharper eyes than mine have pointed out. I was happy that these ducks posed for a few minutes because they didn't hang around very long and flew north. 

38 species for the day. Meh.

Brant

Canada Goose

Mute Swan

Wood Duck

Mallard

American Black Duck

Long-tailed Duck

Bufflehead

Red-breasted Merganser

Horned Grebe

Mourning Dove

American Oystercatcher

Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Red-throated Loon

Common Loon

Northern Gannet

Great Blue Heron

Northern Harrier

Belted Kingfisher

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Carolina Chickadee

Carolina Wren

American Robin

House Sparrow

Purple Finch

American Tree Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird

Brown-headed Cowbird

Common Grackle

Boat-tailed Grackle

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Northern Cardinal

No comments:

Post a Comment