Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Chestnut Point Field 12/30--Common Redpoll, Bullock's Oriole

I always thought the field across the street from the Chestnut Point parking lot at Manasquan Reservoir was off limits but, with the discovery of a Bullock's Oriole in there a few days ago, it turned out that I was operating under a misapprehension. I decided to drive up there this morning; Manasquan Reservoir is one of my favorite winter spots anyway, so I figured that if I dipped on the oriole, at least I could take my walk on the 5 mile perimeter trail. I arrived pretty early, the sun low on the horizon, meeting only a couple of other birders that I knew. The bird was seen yesterday, by m.obs, in a field about a quarter mile from the guardrail on Georgia Tavern Road. It looked unpromising to me--a lot of high grass and scattered cedars. It wasn't like a lake or beach you could just scan. So, I walked into the field, muttering to myself about wasting my time and wandering randomly, as you can see as eBird tracked my path. For the first half hour or so not much was happening at all aside from an eagle flyover, a few crows, and a distant Blue Jay call. 

But as the sun rose higher in the sky, some birds started to move around and a flock of them stopped long enough among the high grass for me to get my bins on them. Field sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Song Sparrow...and the oriole. Amazing. I'm usually the one running across the field after someone has found the bird. It's the old "Blind Squirrel Theory." I called out, "I have the bird," knowing that was probably enough to spook the oriole, which, of course flew out of sight into a cedar. Luckily, at least one other birder saw it too. He was standing looking at the same stand of grass at a 90 degree angle from where I stood. The few birders there came rushing over. I pointed out where it had gone, determined quickly that my chances of getting a photo were nil, and decided to leave before the second wave of birders descended on the field. 

Which they already were, as I was walking out, including Bob and Linda who were just crossing the road as I was leaving. I gave them directions to the area, but it was really just a case of Zirlin's 4th Law of Birding: Don’t look for the bird, look for the birders. They asked me if I wanted to walk back with them, but I declined and walked around the reservoir as I had planned. 

As an extra added attraction, one time before I found the oriole and one time just after it flew into the cedar tree, Common Redpolls undulated and called overhead. I've been looking for them all fall and winter and naturally, when they aren't on my mind is when I see them. 

When I finished my walk around the reservoir Bob, Linda, Carol, & Steve were just coming out of the field. They had all successfully found the bird which was good news. Nothing as aggravating as dipping on a bird a hundred other people have seen. 

So a successful morning and that field looks promising for grassland species in the spring and summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment