Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Shelter Cove 3/31--Glossy Ibis

Glossy Ibis with geese and a grackle
Little Blue Heron
The plan for today (aside from living through it) was to go to Shelter Cove, pick off the Glossy Ibises that Steve found there a few days ago, walk around a bit, then go over to Cattus Island and walk the marsh trail to the Yellow Trail that goes around the Ocean County Parks offices. Almost immediately upon exiting the car, I knew that was going to be a bad idea. Yet another raw, uncomfortable, windy day. A moment or so later, Steve pulled up--we kept our social distance and he pointed out the ibis to me, which, in the mist and overcast were hard to see in the distance. He also picked out a Little Blue Heron, still flagged as rare in the county.

I could have left then, I suppose, but I subscribe to the practice of another birder I know who says you should stay in a place at least as long as the round trip takes you, so I put on my rubber boots and walked around the flooded fields. Steve drove off in the opposite direction and sent me texts of what he was finding. When I was about as far away from the area as I could be he let me know he had a Wilson's Snipe in the weedy area of the other parking lot, so I sloshed over there and we picked it out, cryptic though it was.

Wilson's Snipe
It was amusing to Steve and me to see the flock of Laughing Gulls in the fields, since only a couple of months ago there was one wintering bird in Point Pleasant that it seemed everyone just had to list (including me, excluding Steve). Steve took off and I walked around a little more, only finding a few Buffleheads in the bay.

Having walked about a mile I ditched the idea of the walk through the marshes, figuring that I don't have to make myself any more miserable than I already feel. As it turns out, it was my last chance for the foreseeable future to do it because as of 6 PM tonight, all Ocean County Parks are closed--and wisely so, I think. My planned route today was based on not coming into contact with any dogwalkers (I doubt anyone would be out with their kids or for a stroll). Too many people still not getting the concept or not caring, or not taking it seriously. A sad state of affairs when you look upon anyone within six feet of you, except your spouse, as your potential murderer.
23 species
Canada Goose  10
Mallard  15
Bufflehead  3    
Mourning Dove  2    Heard
Wilson's Snipe  1    
Laughing Gull  25
Ring-billed Gull  20
Herring Gull  5
Double-crested Cormorant  19
Little Blue Heron  1    
Glossy Ibis  11    Exact count
Osprey  4    Two near fields two on nest
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Fish Crow  6
Carolina Chickadee  2    Heard
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard
Carolina Wren  1    Heard
European Starling  100
American Robin  2
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  50
Pine Warbler  1    woods
Northern Cardinal  1    grove


No comments:

Post a Comment