Monday, March 30, 2020

Reeves Bogs 3/30--Virginia Rail

On an absolutely gloomy morning in absolutely despairing times, I was at Reeves Bogs at dawn, though through the mist and lowering clouds there wasn't much difference between pre-dawn and dawn itself. I was there because yesterday afternoon a friend had heard Virginia Rails there and that seemed like a worthy goal to seek while I took my social distancing walk.

I knew exactly where to listen (to look would be futile) but it is preferable to keep that aspect quiet. I cheated, playing the grunt calls on my phone. Within 20 seconds one responded with grunts then with kiddicks. By the time I thought to switch my phone to record it had stopped. I tried again and it responded again but only briefly--too short a time to record anything. Then, nothing. Virginia Rails are "smart." They don't get fooled again, unlike the body politic.

I continued my walk, exploring a part of the area where I've never ventured but not finding anything there of note. Wood Ducks were all around, squealing. Pairs of Mallards were in each reservoir, as were Canada Geese. A hen and drake Ring-necked Duck were in the back reservoir, but they don't nest here--just lingerers. I saw a beautiful Ruby-crowned Kinglet with its crown aflame and singing. I realized they sound similar to House Finches but without the "F you" at the end.

With all the rain, the reservoirs were overflowing the trails into one another and some of the makeshift bridges were "out." I didn't bother to explore the possibility of making a circuit by crossing the rickety bridge of pallets that sometimes, in dryer conditions, can get you across the major breach. Instead, I gingerly crossed an overflowing dam and retraced my route, passing by the rail's area. I played the recording again. Again it responded, but, as if remembering, it cut short its response.

Hearing the rail, so close and so loud, should have made me happy, but as Samuel Beckett once said, under completely different circumstances, "Well, let's not get carried away."

My little list:
16 species
Canada Goose  8    Pairs
Wood Duck  6    Pairs
Mallard  12    Pairs
Ring-necked Duck  2    Back bog
Mourning Dove  2    Heard
Virginia Rail  1    Calling. Kiddick and grunts
Great Blue Heron  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1    Heard
Downy Woodpecker  1    Heard
Northern Flicker  1    Heard
Fish Crow  3    Heard
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1    Singing. 
American Robin  1    Heard
White-throated Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Pine Warbler  5

No comments:

Post a Comment