Monday, March 16, 2020

Blunder

I don't know how many times I've walked around a pond or lake and heard someone, not a birder, refer to a Great Blue Heron or Great Egret with something like, "Oh, look at the crane, Johnny," and I ever-so-gently correct them. So I understand that the birds get confused but...

Seeing this box in the liquor store today revived all my disdain for graphic designers that I thought I'd left behind when I exited the printing biz during the last recession. I can just imagine this project landing on my desk--the whole suite, stationery, promotional brochures, posters, boxes, labels, and the whole concept wrong.

First I would have gone to the owner of my company and told him about the fiasco but he either wouldn't care or wouldn't understand (including the word "fiasco")and then, depending on my mood, I might call up the designer and say something like, "You realize of course that this isn't a crane but a Great Blue Heron, a totally different animal, it's like using a wolf for company with "Fox" in its name." Of course, by this time the designer would have spent days upon days with layouts and proofs and approvals and it would be too late to change course and there would have been a number of possible reactions to my call:
Outrage that I should question his/her identification
Tears
Begging that I not tell the client
Total incomprehension at what I was saying (most likely of the four outcomes).

I have emailed the Crane Lake Wine Company and pointed out, as politely as I could, the huge blunder they have committed. I'm curious to see if I get any response. I know in these times of stress, people have other things to do, but in these time of stress, maybe somebody there is working from home and has nothing else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment