Thursday, May 19, 2016

Cranberry Bogs 5/19--Blue-winged Warbler

I took an early walk at the cranberry bogs in S. Toms River this morning. For but a moment I saw a Blue-winged Warbler back by the power line cut, but I did hear it buzzing a number of times. I know they're being seen in Double Trouble park, which is nearby, so I figured why not look in a place that isn't overrun with dog walkers and joggers?

I had an interesting morning walking around those bogs. I had wondered in the winter if the dilapidated martin houses in the middle of the reservoirs would still be used and they are--by Tree Swallows.

The mud flats should attract shorebirds on their way back south. Today there were a couple of Killdeers, Spotted Sandpipers, and 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, which, according to Pete should be long gone from these parts, yet they linger.

Orchard Oriole, juvenile male
I walked back past the power line cut along the huge reservoir. The water was placid, not a ripple; for once the wind was calm and bird song was easy to hear. Just about at the turnaround point for me, where the trail widens to something of a beach, I heard a loud oriole song. I couldn't find the bird at first but eventually located it atop a pine tree on the other side of the water. I looked at it for what seem an inordinate amount of time before I decided that it was really just a juvenile Orchard Oriole, and not something rare and exotic, which was good, because where I was would be difficult to describe to other birders, much less get to.

Little Blue Heron, juvenile
Walking back I detoured to take a look at the first bog which is usually not very interesting in the warm months (in winter: Tundra Swans). I'm glad I did because stepping through the mud was an immature Little Blue Heron, white with blue blotches, molting into adult plumage.

Then it was home to spend the rest of the day with Shari on our 9th anniversary.
The cranberry bogs list:
42 species
Canada Goose  1
Mallard  4
Little Blue Heron  1     
Killdeer  2
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  3
Laughing Gull  1     Heard
Mourning Dove  1     Heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     Heard
Eastern Phoebe  1     Heard
Great Crested Flycatcher  3
Eastern Kingbird  2
Blue Jay  1     Heard
American Crow  1     Heard
Fish Crow  3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3     sand pit
Tree Swallow  15
Barn Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  1     Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  8
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  5
Ovenbird  3     Heard
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  5
American Redstart  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  1
Prairie Warbler  2     Heard
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  5     Heard
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  25
Common Grackle  40
Brown-headed Cowbird  1     Path into bogs
Orchard Oriole  1     Singing
American Goldfinch  4

No comments:

Post a Comment