Friday, May 6, 2016

Backyard 5/6--Veery

And then the morning got really interesting.

Just after publishing my last post, my neighbor Jerry called. "There are two Wood Thrushes in the back," he told me. Our yards adjoin seamlessly, so I consider his backyard mine when I list. Taking up my binoculars and standing in the corner of my room, I could see the area where he said the birds were. I could see one bird.

"Jerry, that is a thrush, but I think it's a Veery."

Veery
I rushed into the next room where I would have a better angle and leaning out into the rain started snapping. No award winners, but it was definitely a Veery, first one for our backyard and a rare nester in the county. I usually hear only one at Double Trouble, so seeing one is exciting.

But, as I would scrolling through my pictures, looking for a decent one to use, I noticed that there was another thrush in the same area and this one had spots, so Jerry was also correct, because we had both a Wood Thrush and a Veery in the same spot. Unprecedented in our backyards. That brings our backyard total up to 91 species.
Wood Thrush
My list for the rainy morning:
20species
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1     Heard
Fish Crow  1     Heard
Carolina Chickadee  1

White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Veery  1
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  1
Chipping Sparrow  5
Eastern Towhee  3
Northern Cardinal  1     
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Red-winged Blackbird  1     Ground feeding
Brown-headed Cowbird  3     mixed seeds
House Finch  5
Pine Siskin  7     Continuing at our thistle feeder. This is the latest date I've recorded them.
American Goldfinch  5

No comments:

Post a Comment