Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Cloverdale Farm 5/4--Solitary Sandpiper

Solitary Sandpiper
Another morning: Cold (50 degrees); intermittent drizzle; constant mist. I spent more time wiping moisture off my binoculars and glasses than looking through them. How anyone lives in Seattle I'll never know.

Under the adverse circumstances, I did pretty well at Cloverdale Farm, especially since I got there late because the dank morning dampened my birding spirits and I went back to bed for a while. Three species of swallows were working the bogs. As another birder there commented, where they were getting their food in the cold air was a mystery. They were working awfully hard for it.

I finally found the Solitary Sandpiper that's been hanging around there for a month on my 2nd loop around. It flew in with a few Greater Yellowlegs. At one point it was standing right next to a yellowlegs, giving a good comparison of structure and color differences.

When I first arrived, a departing birder (this place is getting popular) told me she had seen a Chestnut-sided Warbler in the grove near the visitor's center. I would have liked to have seen that bird, but three passes through the grove only turned up Yellow Warblers, cardinals, and catbirds.

Tomorrow's weather doesn't seem any happier. Or Friday's.

37 species
Canada Goose  2     Heard
Mallard  8
Great Egret  1
Osprey  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Herring Gull  1     f/o
Mourning Dove  4
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     Heard
Eastern Phoebe  2     Heard
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     Heard
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  1     Heard
Fish Crow  1     Heard
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  20
Tree Swallow  10
Barn Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2     Heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  5
Ovenbird  2
Yellow Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  1     Heard
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Chipping Sparrow  3
White-throated Sparrow  1     Heard
Eastern Towhee  3
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  5
Common Grackle  4
House Finch  1     Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment