Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Wells Mill Park 5/4--Eastern Wood-Pewee

Not much to say about this stop. Yesterday was the first hot day of the year--the temperature reach over 80 degrees, and by the time I got to Wells Mill Park, around 9:30, it was already in the mid 70's and the birds were already getting quiet. This is why I've been rising just before dawn (and I probably should be getting up even earlier) so that I can get to a place at the optimal time to find birds. The problems is, of course, that I want to be everyplace at once.

The new bird I added for the year was Eastern Wood-Pewee, near the Nature Center. A very easy bird to pick out by ear. I walked my usual route there, which is about two miles of hilly terrain and it was more about the exercise than the birding by the time I got on the flat part of the trail, returning to the parking lot.

22 species
Canada Goose  5
Turkey Vulture  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     heard, near Nature Center
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     heard
Blue Jay  1     heard
White-breasted Nuthatch  1     heard
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  5
European Starling  5
Ovenbird  15     heard
Black-and-white Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  10
Pine Warbler  5
Prairie Warbler  4
Eastern Towhee  15
Chipping Sparrow  3
Red-winged Blackbird  1
Common Grackle  10

No comments:

Post a Comment